Tips on Staying Healthy Over the Festive Season
Don’t let the silly season ruin all your hard work and efforts over the last year!
Dietitian Anita Graham has come up with some tips to keep the kilos at bay…
Alcohol Fast Facts!!
- The festive season is associated with the highest amount of alcohol intake in Australia
- Each standard drink is the equivalent to eating 1 x apple or 1 x muesli bar or 1 x fun size mars bar in calories!
- 5 standard drinks are worth the equivalent of 2 main meals worth of calories!!
- Alcohol is not fattening, but is a rich source of calories which can lead to fat and weight gain
- 1 standard drink takes 30mins of jogging to burn off.
Hints over the Festive Season
- Always have a breakfast- this will keep you feeling satisfied for longer and limit your cravings for unhealthier options later in the day.
- Attending lots of social events? Tempted by the nibblies? Tend to over do it on the finger food and realise at the end of the night you’ve well and truly eaten a days worth of calories and still feel hungry? Try having a light meal before to stop you from over eating and help with all the temptations.
- Lots of chocolate, candy canes and high fat snacks around your work environment? These calories add up in the day and can really start tipping the scales. If you do indulge count them as a snack and don’t eat your usual snack in addition to the festive goodies.
- Make salad your friend!! Fill your plate up on salads they are low in calories, packed with nutrients and keep you feeling full for longer.
- Don’t be a couch potato!- Get out and enjoy the Summer weather while you have the time off
- Get out and play with the kids at a park, beach or backyard
- Go for walks with your visitors and guests- it doesn’t have to sweat defying effort- just MOVE MORE!
- Staying ACTIVE keeps the Kilos away!
Neat’s wishes all a very Merry Christmas and a healthy, safe & happy 2012!!